Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peaches & Cream French Toast



Howdy y'all!  I know, I know... It's been a long while since I've shared anything with you guys but the juices are flowing again.  And what better way to signal a homecoming than sharing a delicious breakfast casserole with you!  I don't know about you but I loooooooove breakfast and everything about it.  Big breakfasts on Saturday morning, the smell of bacon and biscuits wafting through the air, breakfast for lunch (aka brunch) partnered with a mimosa, and the ever popular breakfast for dinner which makes it seem like you are breaking all the rules.  This year, I've been trying new things in the kitchen and came across a recipe that fit the bill: prepared ahead, utilizes fruit and one of my favorite breakfast items, and helps me to clean out my pantry of items that have just been sitting there, being neglected.  How perfect!  This recipe was adapted from one that I came across via Pinterest (which I'm fairly certain is the devil and one fellow church-goer mentioned it in church so it has to be true!).  This recipe was originally posted on myrecipes.com but I made a few tweaks and a few improvements that I'm sure you will love.  This French toast was delicious garnished with some fresh fruit, like blackberries, and partnered with bacon as I did here.  This was a perfect dish to put together for Father's Day and served in bed.  Fathers can get the same pampering as mothers do on Mother's Day!  Any day is made into a special occasion when this dish is served.  Enjoy!

Peaches & Cream French Toast
  • 1 8-oz loaf French bread, sliced approximately 1 inch thick (I used half of a 1 pound loaf)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 15-oz cans sliced peaches packed in juice, drained
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half, or heavy cream
Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Arrange bread in a tight, flat layer in dish. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk, sugar and vanilla until blended; pour over bread, making sure that each piece of bread is bathed in the milk mixture.  Arrange peaches on top.  In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans, if using.  Sprinkle over the peaches.  Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.  Remove baking dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Preheat oven to 350F.  While the dish is coming to room temperature, pour the half and half, or cream, into a small pan.  Slowly bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to a simmer.  Cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.  Drizzle over peaches and bake, uncovered, until casserole is lightly browned on top and just cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment