Sunday, June 24, 2012

Asian Marinated Cucumber Salad



I have recently developed a love affair with cucumbers.  In particular, the non-waxy, thin-skinned, seedless English cucumber.  And turning them into salads.  I owe the salad part to my good friend, Katie.  And local Asian restaurants.  But Katie really turned me onto being creative with them.  English cucumbers can typically be found in the produce section shrink-wrapped in plastic.  I always love the crab and cucumber salad you can get at some Asian restaurants, so that was my inspiration behind this creation.  It has lovely Asian flavors (rice vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes) that marry into a wonderful dish.  This time when I made them, I used my mandoline and sliced them a bit thicker than I have previously done.  They are traditionally sliced a bit thinner.  Try each thickness and decide what you like best.  It's a perfect side dish for any Asian entree, or any summer barbecue smorgasbord, and not laden with mayonnaise like most summertime favorites. This dish sits wonderfully in the refrigerator for several days....if it lasts that long!  Enjoy!

Asian Marinated Cucumber Salad
  • 1 large English (seedless) cucumber, very thinly sliced
  • 1/4 of a sweet onion, very thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Gently toss together all of the ingredients.  Put in a non-reactive (non-metal) container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld.  


No comments:

Post a Comment