Thursday, February 2, 2012

The BEST Bacon Quiche Ever (aka Quiche Lorraine)

(Picture to come soon.  Had to get this out quick for a friend)


Did I mention that quiche recipe that is the best ever and I couldn't for the life of me find it??  Well, in searching for some other forms (there is a stack that is waiting to be filed - doesn't everyone have those?) I came across it....on the BACK of another piece of paper that had nothing to do with food!  If you're currently shaking your head and chuckling like I am, then you can feel my pain and completely understand.  This incident is exactly why I bought a simple composition notebook about a year ago and it stays in the cabinet with the rest of the cookbooks.  When I'm in a creative mode, I simply pull it out, scribble the rough draft recipe as I'm making it and make notes about any changes that need to be made once it's done and it's gone through a tasting.  I'm usually my worst critic.  Anywho...I digress.  This bacon quiche recipe is DA BOMB!  It actually uses egg substitute, which makes you feel a bit better for eating the bacon and cheese that goes in it.  Again, like the previous quiche recipe, this is an awesome base and a place to start getting creative like you would with an omelette!  Enjoy!

Bacon and Cheese Quiche

  • 1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled (approximately 1/2 lb or use prepackaged crumbles)
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups egg substitute
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 2 deep dish 9" pie shells, unbaked
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  For ease of transportation, if using store bought pie shells in aluminum pans, place pans on a baking sheet.  Place in a 375F oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the eggs are set, puffy, and lightly browned.

*Substitute - Instead of using egg substitute, you can use 8 large eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment