Monday, March 5, 2012

The Moistest Meatloaf EVER!


I love meatloaf.  Absolutely LOVE it.  Meatloaf is one of those comfort foods that people usually have problems with.  They complain that it's dry, heavy... Not this meatloaf.  This meatloaf is perfect.  It's moist, not too heavy, and can quite literally fall apart because it's so moist!  The perfect balance of flavor.... It's a shame that I have to share this with my family because I could sit down with the entire 9x5 pan in my lap, fork in hand, and eat the entire thing.  I promise, I haven't tried.  But I have thought about it. :) You can use any combination of meats here, but I typically stick with the good ol' ground beef.  I usually get an 80/20 mix.  I have been making this meatloaf for as long as I can remember, almost 20  years (for such a youngin' like me that's quite a while), and it has never failed to disappoint and is often requested.  One of these days I will actually make a different version of it with bacon and cheese.  As for the topping, feel free to double the ingredients to make a thicker topping.  And don't forget the mashed potatoes - you can't have meatloaf without them.  Enjoy!!

The Moistest Meatloaf EVER!
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup tomato sauce (I use an 8 oz can and then use the rest for the topping)
  • 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs (I use the Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onions (I always use yellow onion and use a little more than 1/4 cup)
  • 2 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
Topping
  • 1/4 cup ketchup or leftover tomato sauce from above
  • 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
In large bowl, combine ketchup, tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, onions and mustard.  Mix until thoroughly blended.  Add ground beef.  Mix gently but thoroughly with your hands, being careful to not overwork the meat as it will make the meat tough.  Place in a 9x5 inch loaf pan.  In a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients, mixing well.  Spread topping over the meat loaf.  Bake at 400F for 40-55 minutes or until done.  The meatloaf will still be soft.  If desired, gently check the middle of the loaf with a knife to make sure there isn't any pink remaining.  Drain off fat.  Rest meatloaf for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment